Thursday, March 15, 2012

Character Rigging Diagram

I was thinking more about rigging data visualization. So here is a diagram I made to visualize some torso rigging data. I made it in Adobe Flash.

Hope this is helpful. By making this diagram it lets me be able to forget the technical solution and this diagram can help to remind me quickly of it later.

Also by making diagrams like this patterns emerge like having control layer, or an ik layer or an fk layer. And why some things move other things. This diagram can also help remind me of naming, hierarchy, constraints… When looking at a scene with tons of nodes a figure like this really helps me to have an idea of what things go with what. I think it could even be helpful at seeing which places scripting tools would be most valuable.

I am grateful for my CMU Statistics background and this has helped me alot in being able to visualize rigging data and write scripts for solving character rigging (TD) problems for character animation.

Hope this is helpful,


Regards,
Nate

Inspired by Jason Schleifer's Animator Friendly Rigging (jasonschleifer dot com)